Saturday, April 24, 2010

War, The Health Hazard


Of course Jeanette, it's common sense. Being a soldier in the U.S. Army, or any Army for that matter, poses a serious threat to a soldiers life, as well as his health. They're likely to be shot at; possibly injured. As wives/husbands/parents our biggest fear is just that, or worse yet, death. So when our loved ones come home alive and in one peace, we're overjoyed. Of course, it's only normal! None of us could ever imagine our family members coming home with a serious illness, much less the possibility that war, may have been the cause.

This is why I am writing this today. I've just been told by an old friend, that two soldiers from my husbands unit had been diagnosed with Cancer, sadly one has passed away, and another is currently fighting his battle. Upon further research I found that there's many more cases out there of soldiers coming home with critical health problems. You may now be wondering what the causes may be. It can vary, "depleted uranium in projectiles, remains of Saddams chemical weapons and even burning oil wells." as New York's 'The Sun' states. Radiation is happening and soldiers are coming home to die from exposure.

What can we as wives/husband or parents do? Inform yourself and don't panic. Even if your family member has deployed, it doesn't mean they have cancer. Even so, I will tell you they can request to have tests run. They call it the "Gulf War Exam" and any soldier returning from the middle east can ask to have it done. VA won't take responsibility for anything diagnosed 12 months after exiting the service so have your soldier do it now? Have it be the first thing they do. Because it can never be too soon to treat, although symptoms take time to appear. If there's something in their blood, it will be seen.

Lastly, this isn't intended to spread fear but it's heart breaking to hear of friends who are fighting a battle for us, serving our country and our country won't fight for them. Where is this in the headlines? We need less "Snookie" and more news of the battles our soldiers are fighting. Not only overseas but on the home front. I want you all to be informed and if nothing more, know of the exam. It's our soldiers rights to become aware of all the help that's out there for them, before it's too late! I'm including the articles and pages I've come across. Please read for yourself and spread the word or share this page!

Residue From the Burn Pits of Iraq: Soldiers with Cancer

Veterans' Rare Cancers Raise Fears of Toxic Battlefields

SSG Matthew Bumpus' Battle

Love. Peace. Sanity.

2 comments:

Miss Jane said...

I love your blog. I mean really! I wish you had this when I was an Army Wife...of course the hubby is missing it so we're probably getting back in by the end of the year [wanna place a bet on it!?] HAHAH!

I can't believe what happened: 1 soldier passing away and another battling Cancer. It always drives me nuts to see brave brave Soldiers go out to WAR and then come home to end up in another battle for their life. Doesn't seem hardly fair.

I also think the VA should do a better job of taking care of service members/veterans. I mean 12 MONTHS after exiting the service you're--what?!--chopped liver!?!

lameo.

xoxo,
natasha! Oh I responded to your post on my newest bloggy [i am infamous for numerous projects] THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT!!!

Jeanette said...

It's meant to enlighten but I don't know if I'm doing a very good job at that. LOL! Sounds more like I'm scaring people. Haha! I bet he will rejoin... How do you feel about it? Are you hoping he does come back in?

It's really heart wrenching... After everything these men and women have to endure, some come home to all sorts of mental illnesses, now they have to worry about diseases. It's quite horrible because in can be years before symptoms arise and by then it's too late to get help.

I completely agree the VA needs to take responsibility, some of these men have years in the service and all they get in return is 12 months, I mean "Wow!"

Thank you for commenting too!

Followers