Friday, May 28, 2010

Memorial Day

Unlike Valentines Day, National Nurses Day or Secretaries Day this isn't a simple Hallmark holiday. It was first known as Decoration Day, originating in the years following the Civil War. It became an official federal holiday in 1971. It was a time when people would visit the graves and various memorials dedicated to the brave souls who sacrificed themselves for their country and decorate the sites. Adding ribbons, flowers, and letters to loved ones lost. A time where people celebrated with parades and carnivals the gift of life and the purpose behind it's loss. 

Sadly, today fewer and fewer people see it for what it is. More and more people celebrate by partying and drinking, which is fine, but where's the recognition that our veterans deserve? The veterans from as far back as the civil war and those from today. 

This weekend will be a time of remembrance for me, a time where I will not only thank those brave men and women for their gift of service to our country, but thank their families as well. I appreciate every man and woman who has given the ultimate gift. As well as every man and woman who is still out there, ready to pay the same price for our freedom. 

On a more personal level, I will remember the men who fought side by side with my husband and never made it home. Among these men was PFC Adam Harris.

In Loving Memory of Adam Harris

Adam Harris was my husbands best friend,  he had a great sense of humor. He was loved by all, today, he is missed dearly. I never personally knew him but he had made such an impact on my husband in such a positive way I feel like I owe him a lot. He was killed in action only a month before homecoming. This Memorial Day Blog is dedicated to him, because all though I feel sorrow for his loss, it could've very well been my husband. Thank You Adam! For the sacrifice you gave, I would have loved to know you! 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you baby for remembering peanut. I love you and i miss you. I am sure you would have loved peanut too. R.I.P CHAMP.

Followers